Friday, August 12, 2016

Pic of the Day - Marshmallow Challenge


Meet Sheila Spaghetti Sheghetti. The name affectionately given, by a group of my sixth graders, to the spaghetti tower above, that holds one lonely, sweet, gooey, melt in your mouth marshmallow...





It was all part of the marshmallow challenge they were issued today. They had to build the tallest, free standing structure, with a marshmallow on top. They were given only 18 minutes, 20 sticks of spaghetti, one yard of tape, and one yard of string. The only group to win in my first period class said they named their tower to give it a more personal touch, and to remind themselves they were actually working for Sheila Spaghetti Sheghetti...to win. That, plus having a strong foundation and some support gave that group bragging rights and a fresh marshmallow for everyone...of course!

What a great first week I've had with my students. I look forward to the next 175 days with my eager, brilliant and curious bunch.

This may very well be...my best year EVER!

No comments: