Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Chalk Talk Tuesday - Dear Ms. Cooke


I asked my students to write letters. To each other.  Bad behavior, disrespect, attitude, name calling, defiance...you name it...has been at an all time high. And it isn't all the students, but it just takes several, in this case, to spoil the whole bunch.  I wanted to get things back to positive, so I instructed students to write a positive and encouraging letter to each other.

The activity was for them, but little did I know it would be beneficial to me as well when two students decided to write to yours truly.

Dear Ms. Cooke,

You're an awesome teacher, a really great friend and you always give good advice. Let me tell you this, I love that you always have a great attitude.  So as I was saying, you're polite and nice.  My parents have asked me how was my day and stuff like that, I always tell them about you.  I just can't believe how you can handle everyone just being rude to you but you're still nice and polite to them.  I want to tell you more but I just don't have any words for you because you're so so awesome and one thing I really like is that you dress so pretty and fancy.

Sincerely,
L.D.

Here's another letter...

Dear Mrs. Cooke,

I think that you're very nice! Don't believe me?...Wait,  you seriously don't believe me? WELL IF I HAVE to, everyone here gotta say the same, you're nice to everyone! You greet us with joy, rain or shine - especially shine! Even the rudest of the rude cannot destroy your kindness! Honestly, if you don't think you're nice, to me that's astonishment! You're a perfect language arts teacher and you should be proud! BUT - this is one characteristic. Imagine me describing all of them! Hmmm...where should I start? At least you know that I'm here rooting for ya!

Sincerely,
J.A.

It isn't a coincidence that they both wrote about their peers being rude. Unfortunately this happens. I often wonder how I face these challenges day in and day out. This job certainly isn't for the weak at heart, and some days are certainly harder than others. I rely a lot on my teammates who are always there to listen at the end of the day. We often share our struggles, but we always make sure we laugh about our challenges too. But the one thing that has really helped me survive each school year is my faith and God. I have to pray daily for strength, patience and love. I know I can't take things personally. I know our students face a lot of challenges themselves and that's why they act the way they do. I know that I'm a teacher here to serve. Period. And that's how I do it. One day at a time.

And the good thing? The school year flies by.

Only 37 more days to go!

No comments: