Wednesday, May 23, 2018

The Last Day of School














For the past several years, I have done this one special thing for my students. It happens on the last day of school, it's memorable, extraordinary, and it makes them cry every time...



All year long I find opportunities to take pictures of my students, and they never know why until the last day. That's when I create a slide show of over a hundred photographs of them...from the first day of school, the last day, and the days in between. I play some sentimental tearjerker songs in the background, and then I sit back and wait for their reaction. It's always the same. They are, at first, excited and rambunctious as they watch in disbelief how they "used" to look, they are surprised I captured so many memories, and then the water works start. It's the same. Every. Year.

I'm not sure where the idea came from. It just seemed natural to me. My love of taking pictures of them, and then creating something that I just hoped they would appreciate has kept me doing this year after year.

It is a great way to end the year. We have spent 180 days together. Some good days, and some not so good ones (bah-lieve me!). But in the end, I sure hope they know how much I love them, respect them, and pray they stay in school and make me proud.

No comments: