Sunday, March 15, 2015

Working Out is So Hard


So. I pulled my Brooks Ghost running shoes out of my closet last week. Now that the weather is changing and getting warm again, I'm inspired to work out and get healthy. But not just for now...for forever.

They say words have power. So I figured if I put how I feel into words (thank goodness for this blog!), this makes me more accountable.

But here's the thing. Working out is so hard! It's not hard for the really smart people who've made it a lifestyle. Truth be told, it's not a lifestyle for me. The "old me" works out only during the spring and summer months. I seem to be motivated by warm sunny days. So that means during the fall and winter, I don't work out. And the problem is...because I love to eat, eating a lot and not working out don't usually equal the best results. I have never struggled with my weight, and I don't want to start. Up until a year ago, it seemed I could have eaten whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted.  That was...until 40 showed up!

Forty. Fortee. Forteeeee!!!! Say it with me.  Forty. Fortee.  Forteee!!! LOL.  Along with grey hairs that seem to be springing up all over my head, and these other stubborn hairs growing out of my chin!!!! (ughhh!), forty is here! But you know what? I'm not letting 40 get the better of me!

It's time to make a lifestyle change. I need to do it, not only for health reasons but for overall mental and emotional health. Working out makes you feel better about yourself, and it actually makes you want to put better, healthier foods into your body. My mom, dad, and sister all suffer from high blood pressure, and that alone should be enough to motivate me.

I only started running a few miles last week, and I also had a good run this morning.  And while I'm not at the regimen where I want to be, it is a start. I need encouragement and accountability because it's so hard to jump start this process. But you know what? I'm glad these extra pounds showed up. That alone is enough to get this girl moving!

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: