Saturday, November 25, 2017

Teacher of the Year Banquet


Earlier this month I attended Gwinnett County's Teacher of the Year Banquet and picked up what I thought would be my most prized possession in teaching.  But you know what I discovered?



Don't get me wrong.  I am both honored and humbled to get this award, to be recognized by my school and colleagues. I enjoyed getting dressed up and receiving my plaque, along with the 139 other local school winners in the county.




But this is what I realized.  While I will always look back at this award and be reminded of this special occasion, the things that matter the most, that have always mattered the most, are the relationships I've been building with my students, the visits from my former students, and the many, many handwritten heartfelt letters and notes I've received from my kids over the years.

Those are my most prized possessions.

No comments: