Monday, January 15, 2018

Thin Slices of Joy


Happy New Year! Or is it?

I don't know about you, but during the Christmas holidays I'm on such a high filled with the holiday spirit, but then after, I'm left feeling a bit low and craving more of that good cheer. Yesterday, thankfully, I was reminded of something to pick me up...




We are all going through stuff. Life. Whether it's being stuck in a miserable job with a stupid boss, losing a job, being in dire financial stress, or being consumed with the declining health of a loved one, we are all fighting a battle. Even if our problems are more focused on "self" like dealing with aging, going gray or even going bald, these struggles can sometimes put us in a rut.

But what if we focused more on the little things that make us happy? And by little things, I mean really little things. That's pretty much the concept of Chade-Meng Tan's "thin slices of joy." The idea of being present, to take in and appreciate those moments that bring us joy.

Atlanta has been experiencing some really frigid temperatures lately. And by frigid, I mean really low temperatures, in the teens, where you have to really brace yourself for it, before heading out. Well for just a couple days last week, it had warmed up to the low 60's.  I remember walking outside one day, after work, without my bulky coat, and just smiling, as I was welcomed with warm air. It felt great for the island girl in me.  That was a thin slice of joy.

Sometimes I stare at Buddy Roller, now eight, and I find it really difficult to remember those tender precious moments when he was a baby. Now he's growing taller, and we've been having some really deep conversations about God and the Bible. Lately, he does this thing when he comes up to me and gives me kisses on my cheek. He'll come really close, hug me, and just plant a really big and long one on me. A thin slice of joy!

For 21 days, my family and I are fasting with my church. We've given up things like social media and TV, and are being more intentional about being present and spending more quality time. We've also been playing more board games together. Another thin slice of joy.

My husband tells me everyday he loves me. Every night before he goes to bed, even if I'm asleep first, he always kisses my cheek and tells me those three words. That could get old on someone, but it's not lost on me. The other day, he looked at me, really looked at me and said, I don't just love you, I adore you. A thin slice of joy!

I think "thin slices of joy" is something I'm going to pay more attention to...in 2018.

No comments: