Friday, July 24, 2020

My Favorite Teacher, Equity and Reflections






















Day two of teacher orientation and icebreaker activities got me thinking about my favorite teacher, of all time, and what I want to remember going into this new school year...


My favorite teacher of all time is Ms. Costa. She taught high school English and right when I needed it most, she saved me. You see, I had just moved from Jamaica to Windsor, Connecticut. I looked different, I dressed differently and I sounded like no one else! And just when I wanted, more than anything else, to blend in and go unnoticed, she called on me to read...in front of the entire class! I did. And then she did what I hadn't expected. She went on and on about how well I read, how I enunciated my words so perfectly, and how I was such a great reader. She praised me. This after I had been experiencing just the opposite from my other white teachers. I remember feeling so judged and scrutinized by the others. I've never been able to tell her, but I really think Ms. Costa changed the trajectory of my life. She gave me confidence, and she made me believe that I was something special.

Another colleague shared that her teacher, in the 5th grade, would rip up her incomplete work and make her do it all over again when she wasn't trying her best. That worked for my colleague, and it pushed her to become a better student. That teacher would later become her favorite because she always expected the best work and knew that my colleague was capable of doing better. Now it's important to note that teachers have to "know" their students. This behavior "worked" for my colleague, but it could easily backfire on another student. Another student could perceive that same action as negative and crushing to his spirit if he had worked on his assignment for a while and that was his "best" work.

Today I was asked to think about the type of school I want for my child. Some of the things I quickly jotted down were a safe and welcoming environment, a place where he can experience a lot of growth and knowledge, a place that builds a foundation for his future success and a place he looks forward to going every day with inspiring and fun teachers. I was then asked to reflect and think about what other parents want for their kids.  Turns out other parents are no different from me or you and want the same things for their children. In that moment, I was reminded that I can provide these very things to all my students.

I need to remember, going into this school year, that every child I meet and teach, like my own son, deserves an excellent education with teachers who are caring and supportive. I must remember to be fair and equitable to all my students and always strive to build positive relationships.  And, at the end of the day, if I can be the teacher that Ms. Costa was for me...I would have done something right.

It's time to get after it. School year 2020-2021 I'm ready for you!

No comments: