Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Where I'm From


I am from cloth diapers, clotheslines, and clothespins.

I am from a loving, caring, and devoted mother. She is, to this day, one of the best people I know.

I am from a father who did the best he could, but fell short in countless ways.


I am from maids and helpers who helped to take care of me and my sister while our parents worked.

I am from prep schools with uniforms, high standards, and hard work.

I am from celebrating birthdays with my sister, Chica, because I was born on her second birthday. I'm still her best gift ever. Ha!


I am from Mama and Papa, a slew of aunts, uncles, and cousins back when it really did take a village to help raise a child.


I am from any fruit tree you can possibly imagine...mango, coconut, avocado, plum, apple, orange, cherry, star-apple, and grapefruit...too many more to list.

I am from palm trees, steep mountains, lush landscapes, breathtaking views and white sandy beaches that stretch for miles.


I am from torrential rains and Mother Nature's devastating hurricanes.

I am from the island of Jamaica where our motto is, "Out of many one people."

I am from a country where people are just people. We are not categorized as Black, White, Hispanic, Pacific Islander, Asian, or Other.

I am from a neighborhood where anyone knows almost everyone and, "Ice-cream, ice-cream cake and Nutty Buddy," was an incessant afternoon call from the local ice-cream man as he rode through the streets, on his bicycle, carrying icy treats. This still brings a smile to my face.


I am from going to Hellshire Beach every Saturday, and some Sundays too, when mom would pack enough bully beef sandwiches to feed the entire neighborhood. I miss those days.

 Coconut Drops

Bread Pudding

I am from bread pudding, lemon meringue pies, stew cherries, sweet potato pudding, coconut drops and many other delectable treats, with mouth watering aromas, that made my house a home.

This is where I'm from.

1 comment:

Anita said...

Can't wait to read more!! So excited!