Saturday, April 11, 2015

If I Am What I Eat...


If I am what I eat, and that's true, then I don't like the images of what I've been feeding myself. Picture this.  Carrot cake, any cake, doughnuts, brownies, ice-cream, M&Ms, Doritos, and the list goes on. And on.

I've been dreaming of a healthier me for a while now. I want to be healthier. Eat healthier. Be healthier. I want to be in the best shape of my life. I want a body with toned muscles and definition and abs that are rock solid. Okay maybe that's a stretch LOL!  But I know what I don't want.  I don't want a body that's soft and bulgy.  I want to look and feel good.

It's easier said than done.

When I think of all the things I'm putting into my body, I can't possibly reach my goal eating this way.  If I want to accomplish these goals and live a longer healthier life...things have to change. I have to do it for me, but I also have to do it for my family. I'm my son's role model, and he sees me eating all this unhealthy stuff, then he may very well adopt my very bad habits. I can't be responsible for that! I know this takes commitment and discipline. Motivation and determination.  It makes me think of all the people who've cut either meat or sugar from their diet. Why can't I be just as committed?

I'm running the Peachtree Road Race in July. I'm hoping this annual Atlanta tradition will jump start my healthier routine because I have to train and prepare for it. I mean it's the largest 10K in the world! Even though I ran a half marathon eons ago BK (before kid), running a 5K would be a little challenge, but since the Peachtree is twice as long as a 5K...this girl better get moving!

So. Starting today I am what I eat, but in a good way. That means all fruits, veggies and meat. No sugars. No junk. I'm challenging myself to do this for 30 days.  And please understand that I don't believe in diets and weight loss fads. I do believe in eating healthy and exercising, but I do need to go without the unhealthy stuff for a month to re-train my mind and body how to do it the right way.  I will also be running three times a week and incorporating many other activities into my life...riding my bike with my family or playing a game of basketball with the neighborhood kids.

I can do it. I know it, but I need accountability. So writing about it makes this challenge that more real and that more doable. I can't wait to see the results. But more importantly, I'm excited to be a healthier me!

No comments: