Thursday, August 28, 2014

Chalk Talk Thursdays: Still Ten!


We had curriculum night at my school, so it was a very long day for me and all the other teachers.  I woke up at 6 a.m., and I didn't get home until after 8 p.m. I'm exhausted.  So I'll keep this short.

You know what I noticed today while teaching? There are still 10 sharpened pencils on a table in the front of my classroom.  The same 10 pencils I put there since the first week of school.  That's almost a month ago! What's the big deal you ask?

Pencils are a hot commodity. Or at least they used to be. You see when kids don't bring a pencil, they use mine. And when they use mine, they forget to return mine. And before I know it, all the pencils I bought...are gone.  I've even resorted to using colorful duct tape to flag the pencils, as a way to remind the kids to return them. It didn't work last year.  I was losing pencils like hot cakes.

But my pencils aren't being used this school year.  So far, everyone has brought their own supplies.  Every day. I wonder how long this will last.

I guess the honeymoon isn't over. Yet.

No comments: