Friday, December 11, 2015

Chalk Talk - When the Unexpected Happens







What do you do, as a teacher, when the unexpected happens?

Well.  You just have to make it a teachable moment.

That was me today, when the unexpected happened...




We had just finished reading a novel in my language arts class, and my students had to plan and execute an oral presentation.  The book we read, Bud Not Buddy, is about an orphaned ten-year-old boy who ran away from foster care in search of his father. The only possession he has is a suitcase filled with his prized belongings....his blanket, a pocket knife, some special rocks, a photo of his late mom, and some jazz fliers showing the man he believes is his father.

For their project, my students had to create a suitcase and fill it with some special items of their own....just like the character, Bud, in the novel we read.  Then they had to present their items and suitcase to the class.

I was impressed with my students' work.  Their suitcases were crafty and creative...







What I thought would be a day full of entertaining and lighthearted presentations, turned into the unexpected. Yes, my students came well prepared and did their presentations, but...today turned into quite an emotional day!

Several of my students broke down and cried. No. Crying is an understatement. They sobbed. As it turns out, many of their special items, like photographs, necklaces, letters, etc. were linked to some very special people in their lives...people who are no longer with them...and sharing the significance of those items, opened up the flood gates. Literally.

I told them in the most loving way I could, that I was impressed with how they showed such strength and courage to speak in front of their classmates about such life changing events. I told them that life is full of all types of experiences, both good and bad, and that we are all of our years and experiences behind us. All that...makes us who we are.

On the bright side, I think it says a lot that my students felt comfortable to share their feelings within the walls of my classroom. I feel that many of them got to release some emotions that were buried deep inside them. Some of them even told me that even though it was emotional, they would like to do more presentations.

More presentations? Well. Yes. I'll just have to make sure it's on a much different topic!

No comments: