Friday, March 18, 2016

On Taking on a New Last Name





Before I was Alicia Laman Cooke, I was Alicia Yolanda Laman!!!

I've always hated (sorry mom!) my middle name. So. When I got married, I was delighted at the chance to get rid of it, keep my maiden name as my middle, and take on The Hubs' name.

This got me thinking, though, not every marriage brings with it...the perfect new last name. Am I right, or am I right?



I absolutely detested my middle name. I love my first name...Alicia. But that has been butchered over the years. I've been called Alisha, Aleesha...and all other hideous forms of that beautiful name. It's Alicia...pronounced Ah-lee-see-ah. Get it?

But I digressed...

One of the sweetest teachers at my school, Stephanie Cooper, shown below, is about to be married ya'll, and she's truly the inspiration behind this post.

The happy bride to be


You see, Stephanie is about to gain a new last name that already has some of our teachers talking. I overheard a few of them just this week asking (with a chuckle), "Have you heard what her new last name will be?"

I'll let Stephanie share her story, in her own words...

"When Tim Ho asked me to marry him, of course I said YES in all capital letters.  And I of course knew that would mean my eventually becoming "Mrs. Ho."  This will be interesting...to say the least... as a middle school teacher.  

I chose to take on Tim's name because I want to be the same as him, like a little family.  It's easier, too.  Addressing mail to us will be easier.  If we have kids, naming them will be easier.  When we get old and people refer to us, it'll be easier.  I am taking on his name, not because of tradition or because it's expected, but just because it's easier and I want to be the same.  

I know some friends who both changed their name.  She dropped her last name, he dropped his, and they made up a new one.  That's cool.  I know some who hyphenate.  I know some who have double last names now.  All that is fine and dandy for them (a bit complicated in my opinion) but for me to just change my last name, it seems much easier.  It's simple and it will allow us to be the same.  We will be a tiny family of two.  I'm pretty excited!"

I'm thrilled for Stephanie and so appreciated her transparency with sharing her feelings on taking on her new last name.

Here are a couple more teachers sharing their experiences with their new name...

"I didn't take my husband's name!!!  I was married once before and felt cheated having to do so. Plus I would be Ashcraft and don't want to be called Ms. A** crack."

"I was happy to take my husband's name as my new one, as I was old school and just knew that was what I was supposed to do. However, I did realize that the name leant itself to things like "Cheezy Veazey", "Sleazy Veazey," "Wheezy Veazey", and such."

I never thought twice about taking my husband's name. I was so excited to be getting married, and happy to be spending the rest of my life with The Hubs. Taking his name was just frosting on the cake. I thought it was a privilege and honor to share his name...and I still do.

What about you, what are your feelings about your married name...like it, love it, or not so much? 

No comments: