Saturday, October 18, 2014

Tonight I'm Reminded


Tonight I'm reminded of how things used to be.


We went to a 40th birthday party for a dear friend of The Hubs. His name is Mike, and his girlfriend Melanie (they've been dating for almost two years) threw him a really thoughtful and intimate soiree attended by many close friends.

As soon as we got there, you could tell a lot of thought had been put into the details. The driveway was lit with simple yet beautiful handmade luminaries.  The party was not only indoors, but it also extended outdoors where white lights were strung from the roof top to the trees, adorning the night, like stars in the sky. There was also a fire pit stacked with two great logs ablaze with dancing fire that served two purposes. One for guests to roast marshmallows to make gooey chocolatey smores, and the other to keep us warm as the temperature had dropped to a comfortable 57 degrees. It was the perfect night for such a thing. And it was the cozy feeling of it all that really stood out...people huddled close having lively conversations.

They had the usual...food, cake, beverages, and music, but one special moment of the night got me thinking. Melanie had prepared a special video for her guy as a surprise. Although it was only four minutes long, she proved her love and affection for her special beau.  You see, just two months ago, Mike flew Melanie to Ireland so that she could meet his parents. Melanie secretly recorded a special message from Mike's parents so she could surprise him with it for his 40th birthday.  It was so sweet, and you could tell from the look in his eyes that Mike was really moved and touched by what she had done. 

And that's what got me thinking...how things used to be BK (before kid). Watching those two tonight kinda made me miss those days.  And it wasn't jealousy I was feeling.  Rather it was the appreciation of what the early years of dating brings. When it's literally just two people doing what they want, when they want, with no regard to any type of restrictions. That means you can go on a date, and stay out as late as you want, with no thought of a baby sitter. Heck you can even take an international trip and just fly by the seat of your pants...with no thought of packing an extra suitcase filled with all the accoutrements just in case your little one runs a fever, or gets a bug bite, or gets an allergic reaction or worse yet, an asthma attack.  You get what I'm saying here? You ever get a pang for those days? 

Don't get me wrong. I love my life, and I LOVE being a mom. This little guy, pictured here (along with his soccer buddies), brings me unbelievable joy every day. This picture was taken today during his soccer game. I love this little guy, from the crown of his head to the bottom of his cheesy little toes.


And I also love this guy. He's my rock and my best friend.


We've built a foundation together, and we're preparing for an even better future together...all three of us.

 

And so for just a few moments tonight, I'm reminded of how things used to be.

No comments: