Monday, January 2, 2017

What I Want for 2017

View leaving New York City's LaGuardia Airport








For 2017, I'm going to eliminate bread, desserts and reality TV, go to the gym at least three times a week, and make a home-cooked meal every day.


Seriously. Who am I kidding! Just one look at my Instagram account, and you will clearly see that this self-proclaimed foodie cannot eliminate carbs! And if you know me, or if you've been following my blog, then you know that New Year's resolutions and I do not belong in the same sentence. At 42 years old, I have a pretty firm grasp on who I am. Reality TV is my guilty pleasure.  I will probably not have a gym membership any time soon. In the past several years, I have only worked out (and the park is my gym) from March (when we start getting spring-like temperatures) through September; I'm just not motivated any other time. And as far as cooking daily goes, ummm I'm a full-time teacher and mother...need I say more!

The photo below was taken a few days ago in New York where we spent Christmas.  It pretty much encapsulates my sentiments for 2017 and what I've been intentional about for the past two years.





For 2017, I want to grow closer to God (honestly, that's been a struggle).  I want to continue to be surrounded by family and friends. I want to take the time and live in the moment, savoring time spent with friends and loved ones because life is fleeting.  I want to find the joy in every day and laugh at everything, including myself. I want to remember to be kind to everyone, even when I'm having a bad day, and even when I don't agree with those around me. I want to remember to choose love, even when every bone in my body is telling me otherwise. And, I want to remember to keep things simple (because it's been impossible to find balance) and never forget this mantra, "No square pegs in round holes."

For my thoughts on New Year's resolutions for 2015, read this, and here's what I wanted to gain in 2016.

So. Happy New Year!

Be amazing!

And may 2017 be your best year yet!

No comments: