Saturday, January 20, 2018

My Royal Obsession


I'm not ashamed to admit it. I'm obsessed with anything having to do with the royal family...


Ever since Diana, Princess of Wales, I've always dreamt about what it's like to be part of the royal family. Diana was always so elegant and demure, blessed yet cursed (don't you think?), and when she died at such a young age, the whole world (and I!) watched the news coverage of her death and funeral. I'll never forget watching those two young boys, Prince William and Harry, and feeling so heartbroken for them and their loss, at such a tender age.

It's no wonder I've followed their lives over the years. I was so ecstatic when William found Kate. Of the two princes, he seems like he took more after his mother, having a shy and gentle side, unlike his brother, Harry, who seems more of an extrovert and more likely to take risks. Kate, as well, seems very similar to Diana and is quite suited for her William. She seems to be very soft spoken, and I've enjoyed watching her over the years, her wedding, pregnancies, her fashion, and her growing family.

And now there's Meghan Markle. And I'm more intrigued than ever (but not like in a stalker way)! I think it's a combination of many factors. For one, she's American. She's an actress, activist, biracial and a divorcee. Doesn't quite fit the "royal" mold, right? I think that's where the fascination for me starts. Not to mention, she's a fashionista, she's well spoken, opinionated, intelligent and it seems, a world changer. I think I've watched every one of her interviews on YouTube (I'm not stalking her, I promise!).

Meghan seems so unlike any royal bride before her, and I have to wonder...is she giving up too much to be part of the royal family? It seems after her engagement to Prince Harry, not only did she close her Instagram, Facebook and Twitter accounts, but she also announced she would not be returning to her role as Rachel on the legal drama Suits. Just like that, her acting career was over. Yet every interview I've seen her in, she was most proud and happy to be acting. I guess I can't blame the royals for wanting her career over...have you seen her in those steamy love scenes on Suits? I do suppose that would be very inappropriate behavior for any member of the monarch.

One could also argue that Meghan is getting far more than she's giving up. I hope she's really happy, that Harry treats her well, and that she isn't isolated and unhappy when she finally settles into married life as a royal.  I know she will use this unbelievable and serendipitous platform for good, and she will continue her work as an activist and humanitarian. 

Until then...Meghan, I see you! I can't wait for the wedding on May 19th (I'll be glued to my telly!), and I'll continue to watch coverage of your trendy and sought-after styles, along with the rest of the world. You go girl!

No comments: