Sunday, August 12, 2018

Book Love


For as long as I can remember, I have been a lover of books, but this summer I read a book that's changed my teaching life and inspired me to put a book into the hands of every one of my students...



I have always tried to get my students to read more, but Author Penny Kittle has made me realize that I wasn't doing enough. Yeah my students set reading goals, I took them to the library to check out books, and I posted book covers of the books I was reading outside my door.  I would even tell my kids about the great books I was reading, and my "readers" continued to devour their books and were equally as enthusiastic as I was, but many kids...my non-readers....continued to slip by NOT READING!  

I wasn't doing enough.

Then came June and Book Love!

Research shows that for kids to be successful in high school and college, they have to be readers. In college, students are expected to read some several hundred pages a week! If they're not doing any reading now...if they're not building that stamina now....their future will be very challenging. No wonder we have so many high school dropouts and students who never even consider college in their future. And as a teacher at a Title 1 school, my job is ever the more urgent.

That's why I'm more determined than ever to bring back that love of reading. One book at a time. One student at a time. 

Thank you Penny Kittle!!! Through some practical tips and sharing her success stories of students who are now readers, I had many "take-aways" that I can use with my own students. 

Last week was the first week of school, and I met all my adorable 6th graders. I had them write about their "reading life" so that I knew what I was up against. As expected, I had many students who love reading and have established reading as part of their daily life already. But then I had many more students who don't read because books are "boring" and "not entertaining" and "video games and playing are better."  I had one student who admitted that after reading several pages, he has no idea what he just read! Clearly I will be working with that student and making sure there isn't a bigger issue here. But how sad that many students think reading is boring. Obviously they haven't read books like Harry Potter, or Lighting Thief, or Wonder, or Bud Not Buddy, or The Outsiders. The list can go on and on...

This. Has. To. Change.

Here's my plan of action:

  • One. This school year, and every school year, I plan to voraciously read as many young adult books as I can, so that I can offer many recommendations throughout the school year to my students. I had not been as intentional about doing this before. 
  • Two. Each student has a reading goal of 30 books this year. More if 30 is an easy number. Students have already been given a list of genres (fiction, non-fiction, mystery, historical fiction, informational, poetry, biographies etc, etc.) they must read.
  • Three. I'm going to teach them and show them how to choose a good book. 
  • Four. I'm going to get parents involved. I've already crafted a letter I'm sending home with every student telling parents about our reading initiative and why it's important that they establish a reading routine at home. Additionally, I'm asking every parent to take their child to the public library and sign up for a free membership.  
  • Five. I'm going to set aside classroom time to take my kids to the school library regularly and with fidelity so that kids always have a book to read. 
  • Six. We (my students and I) will do "book talks" throughout the year where we will tell each other about a great book we're reading in hopes that others will want to read them too. 
  • And finally. Seven. Each student will have and maintain a "Want to Read" list within their notebooks where they will record all the books they want to read - ones they've heard about from each other and from our book talks. We have already set up our notebooks and have a space for that list. 

On Friday, Jack told me he has never read a good book. I placed Wonder in his hands. And Jesus can't remember the last good book he's ever read. I gave him Hunger Games. Alexia is an enthusiastic student and was looking for a recommendation. I gave her Stargirl. Janet is one of my low students, and she needed a recommendation. She sits next to Paula. I gave each girl a copy of The Breadwinner so they can read together and have discussions about the book. Leaving class that day, Janet told me how excited she was about reading the book. She said she has never been this excited about a book before. 

When writing about her "reading life," Maria said reading takes her to her "happy place." Wouldn't it be great if all my students felt this way?

It's my mission.

One student at a time.

Please note, as always, I have used fictional names to protect the identity of my students.

No comments: