Saturday, February 14, 2015

Set Your Fears On Fire


What are your fears?

Are they holding you back from life? From joy? Are they keeping you up at night?

I think it's safe to say that we all have some kind of fear. Some big ones. Some small. And your fears may be different if you're a man or a woman. If you have children, or if you don't. If you're married, or if you're single.

I won't even say what my fears are because I don't want to give them any power, but last night I burned one of my biggest fears. In a fire pit. Outside in the frigid cold. I did it along with several other people from my church during a small group meeting.  It was freeing, and an empowering act of not letting my fears get the best of me.

Here's a side note.  My church is big on small groups. Our pastor always says that a small group is the answer to being part of a big and diverse church. It's the small group that really allows you to grow in your faith, help the community, and be accountable to others.  Many, many, many years ago, I was part of a small group and I served in many ministries and even went on a mission's trip to Mexico. That was BK (before kid). Since having Buddy Roller, I have not been part of a small group and I have not served in any ministries.

And it's time to get back to what's important.

Last night was my first step in accomplishing a goal I had put on hold for too long. Being part of a small group is a good thing. It builds community, and relationships that help people get through life. I think it's no coincidence that my first meeting at a small group, in several years, would challenge me to face one of my biggest fears, and then burn it.

Now that I think about it, I should've put a lot more on that piece of paper. Seems I have more burning to do!

Fears steal our joy and keep us from truly living our happiest, best life possible. Burn your fears. Do it today.

No comments: