Tuesday, January 20, 2015

These Things I Know Are True


So another teacher mom returned to work today after being away for several weeks on maternity leave. She is a first time mom. During the weeks leading up to her return, I wondered how she was coping, and I sent her a few text messages here and there to say hello. I could tell from her her many posts on Facebook that she was just adoring her new little guy. There were pictures of him in his new baby outfits, pictures of him smiling, napping...you remember those days when your little ones were so tiny and you captured every picture any chance you could get?

I knew she would be super busy this morning getting acclimated and catching up on all she could before the first student arrived. I waited for as long as I could, and then I peeked into her room to say "welcome back" only to find her crying and trying desperately to hold back more tears. Another teacher had asked her about her baby, and that's all it took for the tears to come.  Oh no. Yup...it was the "first day back at work without baby" syndrome. Oh my heart went out to her. Been there, done that. Sigh.


As I was thinking about her today, I reflected on motherhood, in general, and how I felt returning to work, as a new mom, and how I survived (barely) every day I was away from Buddy Roller. Here's what I know:


1.  Becoming a mother makes you a million times more emotional that you ever were. And since I was already emotional before I became a mom, oh boy, you can only imagine! It's no wonder I cry easily these days...just by watching a random TV commercial about motherhood. The Olympics P&G commercial gets me every time! Also those Publix commercials during the holidays.  Bottom line, expect moms, new and old, to cry at the drop of a dime!

2. Don't ask a mom (especially a new one) on her first day back at work how her baby is. It will just set off the water works...as it did for this teacher. Yes you may be dying to ask, but let her initiate the conversation about her new bundle of joy. Asking her will only remind her that she is at work and not at home where she really wants to be.

3. Becoming a mom brings out your affectionate side. I was never truly a "touchy feely person" before Buddy Roller. I think it was partly because I grew up with my Asian mom who wasn't extremely affectionate but who showed me love in many other ways.  Now I'm that mom who gives Roller lots of hugs and kisses, always caressing his face and hair. Yup this motherhood thing sure has changed me.

4. Moms are always sacrificing. Whether it's more time, less sleep, giving up that last slice of cake, you name it, moms do whatever they need to do for their babies.

5.  Motherhood changes you. Period. I never truly understood until I became a mom, no one could have explained it to me even if they tried, and I often wonder how I could ever live my life without having had the pleasure of this extraordinary experience. It is a gift, and I treasure it.

Now here's that sappy commercial that gets me...every time!

No comments: