Friday, September 22, 2017

First Date

Why does my head seem so much larger than his!

Do you remember your first date?


I do!

The Hubs and I were high schoolers at the time.  Yes. I've known him that long!  He asked me for my number, one day, after school, on a very windy New England-y kinda day.  After giving him my number, we would spend hours, at a time, on the phone, talking about everything and nothing at the same time. 

On our first date, he picked me up at home. He drove a little blue car, and I remember the drive to the movie theater.  It had moments of that awkward silence where you want to say something, but aren't really sure what to say.  I remember feeling nervous and excited at the same time.  The smell of cinnamon filled the car because The Hubs had a thing for Bid Red chewing gum. Do they even make it anymore?

We went to see the movie Death Becomes Her. Oh my gosh, that was such a horrible movie! It was so bad, we decided to leave early! I don't remember exactly what we did after that, maybe get something to eat, but what I do remember is him taking me home, walking me to my front door, and giving me a goodnight kiss. It was sweet and tender, and I still remember getting butterflies that night. 

This week we celebrated 15 years of marriage. And one thing remains true. Just spending time together, holding hands, and talking, is all we need. And that's how we marked year 15. We spent the day just being together.  Like I tell The Hubs, I'm looking forward to growing old and grey with him and holding hands through this journey called life. 

No comments: