Monday, July 12, 2021

Over the Top Love


In April, when we visited my mother-in-law (MIL) for spring break, she gave me the sweetest compliment....


After not seeing my MIL for well over a year (COVID!), we were able to spend an entire week with her, soaking up not only the Florida rays but also her good culinary skills, kindness and words of wisdom.

We were talking, as we usually do when we get to spend time with each other. We were sitting in her cozy and inviting den. She had her signature drink in hand, a glass of Merlot served in none other than the fanciest of wine glasses, and me, I had a glass of ice cold water. We were talking about any and everything when we got on the subject of our relationship.

"I don't call you because I never know when it's a good time," she started with her raspy voice, "I remember what it was like being a working mom and raising kids. I know you're busy, and it's better when you call me. I will stop what-EVERRR I'm doing and talk to you."

And she's right. No matter when or what time I call her, I become her priority. I feel it. I know it. 

She continued, "That's why when you guys are here, I try to make things easy. I cook for you because I know you work so hard during the school year, and I want to do what I can to make your vacation, a vacation."

And on this, she's also right. She does go above and beyond, and she really takes good care of all three of us. I've always wondered why we can go for such long periods without a phone call, but no matter what, when we get together, it's like we don't miss a beat. We always manage to pick back up where we left off. And her explanation makes perfect sense. I understand. 

Then we got on the subject of her framed pictures which can be seen all over her home. She has several pictures of us all, throughout the years. There's one of Buddy Roller's first Christmas at four months old. One where he's one and couldn't yet walk but posing, standing with one hand in his pocket, as if he could. And there are many more, to mark each milestone, during his almost 12 years of life. 

"You have over the top love," she said, "you have done such a great job of sending me pictures over the years, and I really appreciate them." And she's right again! I have sent her note cards ever so often with a few pictures each time. I also text her pictures of her grandson which she is always over-the-top excited to receive. I never imagined that such a small gesture, on my part, would make her so happy, and it makes me equally delighted. 

Me? Over the top love?...I'll take it! 

No comments: