Saturday, August 7, 2021

First Days of School

This week students returned to school, AND we had a blast...

It's hard to believe that some students have not been in school for some time. Think about it. Some sixth graders have not been in the building since 4th grade. My son, who's in 7th grade now (!!!) has not been in school since he was a 5th grader!

And because of that, my school wanted to welcome kids with lots of FUN. On the first day of school, students were greeted with music over the intercom. For my 6th graders, they got to have the building all to themselves as 7th and 8th graders were on a staggered start. 

We spent time outside getting to know each other. We played a meet and greet bingo game, we had ice cream treats, we toured the school "scavenger hunt" style, we had a water balloon toss, relay and hula hoop competition, tug of war, marshmallow challenge and we even had a pep rally with a visit from the school's mascot. It was the BEST first day I've ever had in all my years of teaching! 

Now that I think about it, it's a great way to start the year, and I hope it's something we continue to do. I know we have to eventually go over rules, expectations, procedures and all, BUT this is the way to do it. Kids get to know their way around a new school and meet each other without the stress and pressure of starting middle school. Because let's face it, middle school can be overwhelming.  

No comments: