Sunday, August 29, 2021

Trying New Things

 I admit. I'm not always willing to try new things...

"It only got a 3.1 rating with only 9 reviews!" I told my friend Amanda.

"Let's try it. It will be good," she promised.

I still wasn't convinced, AND I wasn't even that hungry to give in easily.

Just then I spotted a group of happy people leaving the restaurant. I opened the car door and asked in a friendly way, "Was the food good?"

"Oh yes," the woman said. 

"I'm trying to convince my friend to try this restaurant. She doesn't want to give it a try," I said jokingly, as I was the one who was unsure.

"You're ridiculous!" Amanda scolded shaking her head at my silliness.

"You'll love it," another stranger added, "The seafood is also very good." 

"Ok thank you so much," I said as the group of people got into their car. 

"Let's go Amanda. Let's give it a try," I laughed at her, finally giving in. 

The first thing I noticed in the small Peruvian restaurant, Rico Sabor Peruano, is that it is small but quaint. Then I see a variety of desserts...flan and tiramisu...that really peak my interest. We choose our table and a friendly waitress comes over to greet us and take our order.

Amanda orders lomo saltado and tells me to order the same thing. I try to order something different, but she insists. She is quite firm, so I order the same dish. 

"It's beef served over French fries which may seem strange, but it's really good," she tells me. I think that IS a bit strange and that the fries will get soggy, but I go along with it.

She orders an Inka Kola, a Peruvian soft drink that is bright yellow, fruity and sweet. It's all too new for me, all at once, so I order a Coke and a tall glass of ice. 

When our food arrives, a pretty substantial serving on a big white plate, I take it all in. It smells amazing! I see chunks of beef, red onions, beefsteak tomatoes and herbs that were simmered in its own juices. This is served over French fries with a side of steamed rice. 

I take my first bite of rice and beef and gravy. My mouth is happy. The food is fresh, hot and really good. I go back in for more rice and beef. Then beef and fries. The fries are not soggy as I first thought but hot and crunchy holding up in the juices of the beef. I then try more, adding in the beefsteak tomatoes and not regretting at all that we came in to eat.

I will definitely be back, AND I will bring the Hubs and favorite son. I'm sure I'll face some resistance, but eventually they will give in. Hopefully.

The thing I thought I would like the least is actually the thing I enjoyed the most. The lesson in all this...try something NEW! TRY new foods and experiences. It IS what makes life interesting and enjoyable.

No comments: