Sunday, March 27, 2022

A Reminder to Be Kind

 One of the greatest things we can do for each other is spread kindness like wildfire...

This weekend I was intentional about being kind to not only one, but three people. Not only does it impact someone else in a positive way, but it ends up making me feel good, too.

My sweet next door neighbor, who lives alone, lost her dog and companion after 13 years. I couldn't stop thinking about her and her loss. Today I bought her an orchid plant, rang her doorbell and handed it to her. She didn't expect this random act of kindness. She was so emotional and thankful. A few minutes later after I had walked inside my house, I received a text from her with a photo of where she had placed her new plant.  I can tell she really appreciated the gesture.

A colleague of mine has not been at work in weeks, and she is not expected back until after spring break. No one at work has said anything about her absence. I have no idea why she's out, but I've been thinking about her. Life can be tough sometimes. You never know what someone is going through. Call it intuition, but I just feel like she's going through a difficult time. This morning I wrote her a card with some encouraging words and when she comes back to work, I'll give it to her along with a dot-to-dot puzzle book for when she needs to just escape life for a few minutes. 

And lastly, one of my dearest friends is closing on a house this week. She has dreamed about this for some time now, and I am so excited for her and her family. I just wrote a card for her which I'll put in the mail tomorrow. I hope she gets it on closing day, and I hope she knows how happy I am for her. 

Being kind doesn't have to cost a thing. It can be as simple as giving a smile or a compliment. It can take the form of writing a card or calling a friend you haven't talked to in a while. No matter the act, it can make a huge difference to someone else and make you feel like a million bucks.

So go ahead. Spread a little kindness this week. You'll be happy you did. 

No comments: