Thursday, September 18, 2014

Chalk Talk Thursdays: Cool


The Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary defines cool (adj.) as of the very best kind. That very same word was used to describe me, yours truly, by one rambunctious former student.

As I was standing in the hallway this morning for my usual morning duty, he appeared out of nowhere. This is how the conversation went. I'll use the name Joe for privacy reasons.

Him: Hello Mrs. Cooke.

Me: Hi Joe, how are you?

Him: I'm doing well. I'm doing good this year. I got a 90 on my last test.

Me: That's great! Are you still a great writer? Last year I remember how good your writing was.

Him: Yes (this time smiling sheepishly).

Me: Who's your teacher this year?

Him: Ms. Lausier.

Me: How are things going with her?

Him: She's cool. I mean she's nice, but you are cooler.

Me: It's okay Joe if she's cooler, I won't mind.

Him: No Mrs. Cooke, you will always be my coolest teacher.

Me: Wow thank you Joe, that's so sweet of you. You made my day.

Him: (really smiling now) Okay Mrs. Cooke, have a good day.

Me: See you later Joe. Make sure you visit me later this year and let me know how you're doing.

Him: Okay Mrs. Cooke. Bye.

And then he walked away and disappeared into the sea of faces and middle school students on their way to homeroom.

No comments: