Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Tip #5 - Plant a Seed



Now that we're well on our way into the fourth week of school, it's time to plant some seeds.  Not literally.  But metaphorically speaking.

Which brings me to tip #5 from a so-called veteran teacher.  Inspire your students...




We were having a lively discussion today on the subject of "fitting in," when one of my students (let's just call him Russell) said something brilliant.  I mean, it just blew me away.  Coming from an 11 year old, it was thought provoking, intelligent and very insightful!

I stopped in the middle of class, with all his peers watching and listening attentively.  I mean, you could hear a pin drop, and I said, "Russell. You are brilliant.  What you just said was intelligent and well said.  You, my friend, are a future president."

He was stunned. And I could tell right away my words mattered to him.  They gave him power. They boosted his confidence.

And you know what he said?

"Mrs. Cooke, can you tell my mom tonight, what you just said about me, when she comes to Curriculum Night?"

I said, "Yes I can."

And I sure did when I saw her later on this evening.

As we get to know our students, we must remember to inspire them.  It doesn't take much. Just some kind and honest words.

Believe in your students. What we say to them matters.

It does.

I planted a seed today.

A future president is in the making.

No comments: