Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Tip #4 - Get to Know Your Students




I’m now well into my second week of the school year with my students. It’s been an exciting and thrilling time for me. Students are still learning, and still practicing their routines and procedures, and since they're 6th graders, I suspect we'll be practicing well into next week as well. 

Now that we have our routines, almost underway, it's time to do something really important and that brings me to tip #4 from a so-called "veteran teacher"...


...get to know your students!

Your relationship with your students is the single most important thing to them having a successful year, and you too! We must take the time to connect with our students, build relationships, have teachable moments and always, always, come from a place of kindness rather than one of judgement.

So during the first two weeks, if a student makes a mistake, I find it's better to lovingly correct them and show them the right way than to assign a consequence. It makes a big difference. And really. Should you really give a consequence without first knowing the student you are dealing with? I think not.

What's a quick way to get to know your students? I had mine complete a quick activity using inexpensive paper plates. Students divided their plates into slices by showing me the sum of all their parts...what makes them unique. I was able to see their priorities and hobbies at a quick glance which then became my talking points for connecting with them and building relationships. I was able to learn so much about my kids with this simple assignment.  This activity also gave me a chance to display their work, and kids love to see their work on the wall. It makes them feel proud, and what better way to start the school year!

No comments: