Monday, February 29, 2016

Tip #13 - Get Involved at Your School

 

One of the best things I've done in my teaching career is join an after-school club.  I admit...most days I don't feel like I have anymore to give, but at the end of the day, I always end up feeling happy that I did!

So here goes tip #13 from a so-called veteran teacher...get involved at your school!


This is my second season coaching our Girls on the Run program at my school. Twice a week, right after school, two other coaches and I, guide a group of over a dozen girls through a curriculum geared to build confidence, strength and girl power. We talk, we share, we laugh, we teach, we inspire, we form friendships, and we support each other over the course of several weeks. At the end of 10 weeks, we all run the most fun and uplifting 5K in Atlanta. The girls walk away feeling like they can accomplish anything they set their minds to. Because they can. Really.

Getting to know your students outside of the classroom does wonders in building relationships. The kind of relationship that can sometimes be hard to nurture during a classroom period when there is so much to do and so little time. Outside of class, walls come down, there's a little less structure, and students can feel a little more relaxed.  Which all makes for a great opportunity to get to know your students more, and build those meaningful relationships.

Whether it's joining an after-school club, or taking the time to get to know your students, or supporting your kids at one of their many basketball, soccer, football (you name it) games, or watching them perform at one of their band or orchestra concerts...kids know when you care, and it really goes a long way to making them a success at whatever they do!

No comments: