Thursday, September 29, 2016

On Parenting


Last week, I attended this art thing that one of the teachers at my school was hosting. It's like one of those sip and paint deals where you create your own "masterpiece" from start to finish while snacking and hanging out with friends. Only, we didn't just get to work with paint...we also used a lot of different mixed media which put a whole new spin on things. 

Anyways this got me thinking.  An artist starts with a blank canvas, and can put a lot of thought and planning into it, never truly knowing how it will turn out. Parenting is kinda like that.  You plan, and you dream. You make sacrifices, you toil, you teach, and you learn.  You do the best you know how, and you hope for the best, but sometimes you never know what you're gonna get, or how things will turn out...

Only today, I got validation that this hard work is paying off. Earlier, The Hubs and I met with Buddy Roller's teacher for his fall parent teacher conference, and she had nothing but positive and wonderful things to say about his character, work ethic and ability. It's one thing to know and believe you have a wonderful child, but hearing from a teacher, who spends most of the day with him, is something special. But the one thing I was most proud of today is that she described him as humble. Humble. It's most certainly one of the character traits I want for my son, so hearing that today definitely made me a proud mama.

And in case you're wondering how my "masterpiece" turned out...ta daaa!!! 


But...I'm not finished yet with my masterpiece. With parenting, it's like that. There's still more work to be done. More sacrifice, more long hours, dreams, hopes and a lot of prayers that things will turn out best. 

No comments: