Friday, November 24, 2017

My Review of the Movie Wonder

I read the book years ago and loved it! So, I was especially excited when I realized the movie for R.J. Palacio's book, Wonder would be coming out this month. I had to see it...




My plan was to read the book with Buddy Roller, and then take him to see the movie with me. But after several discussions with The Hubs, who thought the subject matter would be too "heavy" for an eight year old, I gave in. Some battles are just not worth fighting ya know.

In the end, The Hubs was my movie date. And you know what? Several times throughout the movie, I thought, I'm glad we decided not to bring Buddy Roller. Not because I thought it would have a negative impact on him, but rather, I wanted to take the time and read the book with him and talk about the circumstances in the book, and then watch the movie with him, in another year or so, when I know he will really learn and grasp the big lessons in this movie.

As you may have heard, the movie is based on the hugely popular book, Wonder. It centers around 10-year-old Auggie Pullman who was born with facial deformities.  Now 20 surgeries later and after years of being home-schooled, Auggie will be attending public school for the first time in the 5th grade. The movie follows his challenges and triumphs as he navigates the sometimes difficult road of school. And yes, kids are cruel and mean and hurtful. But what this tear-jerker, feel good movie teaches is...everyone needs an ally in life, never give up, family is your greatest support, and to laugh through the tears!

I think the cast of the movie was expertly chosen.  Julia Roberts, Owen Wilson, Danielle Rose Russell and star performer, Jacob Tremblay brought the Pullmans from the pages of the novel to life with characters we could relate to and feel for. By the way, that kid, Jacob Tremblay, is going places!  The movie is almost exactly like the book, at least from what I remember.  Also, it is very rare that a movie does its book justice, and I enjoyed the movie as much as I did the novel.

I think this movie should be seen by kids (ages 9 to 10 and up) and their families. This movie teaches compassion and empathy which is so needed in our world right now. It reminds us, like the late Dr. Wayne Dyer said, to choose kind over being right. It teaches us that "everyone we meet is, indeed, fighting a battle," so be nice(!) to people and, "only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eyes."

So grab a loved one and prepare to laugh and cry a little as you "wonder" how this sweet movie teaches you a few lessons of your own.

No comments: