Sunday, February 28, 2021

First Chapter Friday


I've been reading a chapter from a new book every Friday to my students...

It's called First Chapter Friday, and I love it!

The idea is to get my students more excited about reading. Those who already love to read, will get new book recommendations, and those who don't like reading so much, will hopefully...get inspired.

I switch it up each week. One week I may read fiction, another week I may read non-fiction. And the genres change too. I am intentional about reading it all - poetry, historical fiction, fantasy, humor, informational, mystery - you name it, I'll read it. I also read genres I don't particularly like because it's not about me. And like I tell my students, you may like something once you give it a try.

I'll admit, I read to them for selfish reasons too. Because I LOVE to read. But I know it's paying off! Every Friday the kids bring the books they're reading too. I assign a reading skill and questions on Monday. They have all week to read, prepare their questions, and then they discuss in their small groups.  We call it "Reading Club," and they get a chance to share their books and get others excited about reading. 

One student told me, "Mrs. Cooke I didn't love reading until you came along."

Another student told me that she's bought all the books I've featured in class. She said, "Mrs. Cooke, I love all your recommendations!"

I told the students they can also recommend books for me to read on First Chapter Friday.  I have several already lined up, and I cannot wait for next time!

No comments: