Tuesday, April 23, 2019

My Mane Story

They say people want what they can't have...


For as long as I can remember, I've always wanted different hair.

Throughout my life, people have told me again and again that I have beautiful hair.  That I have the best of both worlds...my hair can be straight or curly.  Still. I've wished for hair that's straighter, not so thick, not so frizzy. You know the type of hair that you can just "wash and go"? Hair that dries straight and smooth, with a sheen? Yup that's the type of hair I've prayed for.

When I was a little girl, my hair was dead straight. It had not a curl or frizz to it. Then I hit puberty and had a drastic hair cut, and my hair has never been the same since. It got thick, curly, and frizzy!

In my 20's, when I thought I was all grown up, I went to the hair salon all by myself to get a trim and blowout. The hairstylist had me flip my head over and proceeded to dry my hair without any styling products or a hair brush.  My hair got exponentially thicker.  It was a disaster.  It was clear my hair was too much for this stylist to handle because he told me, "I hope you make a lot of money in the future to pay someone to do your hair." I was so embarrassed and humiliated, and not knowing any better, I still tipped that awful man!

Years later, after trial and error with hundreds of hair products, and finding great stylists who know what they're doing,  I've finally learned to appreciate my hair. Most days I wear it straight and smooth, some days I give it some bounce and soft curls, and sometimes I even wear it natural...wavy and with the frizz I can't seem to escape.


They say you're never fully dressed without a smile, but for me...it's my hair! My hair is my crowning glory. My hair completes my outfit, and I feel my best when my hair looks its best. Over the years, I've considered cutting my hair but can never bring myself to do it. My hair is my armor. Without it, I think I would feel naked and vulnerable. My hair gives me that extra boost of self-confidence that I need sometimes.

And you know the irony in all this? Now that grey hairs are popping up all over my head, you know what I wish for? My wish is no longer for straight hair. My wish is that I had no grey hair...at all! I wish I could go back to those days because I really had it good.

Funny how life is, right?

What's your mane story?

No comments: