Thursday, April 11, 2019

My Mouth Has a Mind of Its Own



Have you ever said something really stupid and wished you could take your words back? I have...



A few years ago, my MIL had just had throat surgery to take care of some thyroid issue. Anyway, the days leading up to that surgery, she was really worried and anxious about whether or not she would have a scar. Would it look awful? Would she be "scarred" for life? I mean, she really worried about it. A few days after surgery, we were visited by a friend who looked at her throat and immediately exclaimed, "Wow! That's an awful looking scar you got there!!!"

Ouch.

Wow.

Awkward.

The comment was hilarious and horrific all at the same time. It was hilarious because this friend is such a good guy and has one of the biggest hearts I've ever seen. And he meant so harm.  Seriously. But the comment was also horrific because, knowing how my MIL felt leading up to her surgery, she didn't need that extra angst. Thankfully, the comment didn't have a lasting effect, the scar healed, and to be honest, I think I'm the only one who remembers and chuckles about it once in a while.

I bring this up because I've put my foot in my mouth in the past. Who hasn't! I can't take it back. And I think I may have ruined a friendship because of it. It went something like this. I was on the phone with a friend when she casually mentioned she had to stop at the store and pick up diapers. At the time, Buddy Roller was three going on four. Her son was older than Buddy Roller. Without thinking, I blurted out disapprovingly, "Diapers! For who???" Turns out, the diapers were for her son.

Ouch.

Wow.

Awkward. Silence.

It was clear she was upset by my comment. Clearly I felt badly as I'm still thinking about it years later.  Like I said, the friendship ended. Which makes me think, Was our friendship ever as strong as I thought if that's what it took to end it???  Anyway. I got over it. Eventually.

Sometimes my mouth has a mind of its own. Sometimes I say things I regret, but I can never take them back.

No comments: