Sunday, April 14, 2019

On Raising a Champion


Several years ago, when Buddy Roller was still an infant, I heard a phrase that would change my life and guide one of the most important roles of my life...



The first time I heard the words, I was in church, and I'll never forget it. My pastor gave a sermon on what it means to "raise a champion," and I remember walking out of church that day feeling the enormity and the responsibility of what my role is and how to be a good parent. You see, my church has truly been the foundation for me. I've learned so many valuable teachings, like how to be a good person, and how to do life the right way, at my church. All during my adult life. Sometimes I wish I had had these teachings when I was growing up. I wish I had had role models to mold me and show me earlier, rather than later.

That sermon summed up exactly how I feel about motherhood and raising a son.  

I'm raising a champion. Period.  And I don't mean that in some arrogant kind of way, like I'm raising a kid who should win numerous trophies or awards in sporting events and school competitions.  No. I'm raising a champion. A champion of life. A champion in life. What does that mean?

Raising a champion means I'm raising a child who will one day be a man, a father, and someone's husband who will do his best at whatever he's doing.  He will treat people with kindness and respect.  He will be honest, principled, courageous, and innovative.  He will be a leader, someone who will use his success and always give back to his community, making things and people better than he found them. He will be the light, and he will use his God given talents for good.

These are the hopes and dreams I have for my son, and I'm speaking these affirmations into existence.

You see, I have been charged with this mission, and that's why I've made the choices I've made as a parent. Some people may call me a "helicopter mom." Some may say I'm too strict, too rigid. I say, don't you worry. The Hubs has helped to balance things out at home. He teaches Buddy Roller how to be a man, how to do sports, and he brings the "fun" with root beer floats, gummy bears and Fortnite!

Some moms choose their careers, passions, hobbies, or self first, and that's totally okay for them, but for me, in this "parenthood" season of my life, I choose to raise a champion. It is a sacrifice. And it's not easy. And sometimes, I fall short. I make mistakes.  But this choice. It's worth it. My son is worth it.  Raising a champion involves some non-negotiables...like no TV or video games during the week, reading before bed at night, praying at night, blessing the food before we eat, no sleepovers unless it's with family, no hanging out at the houses of people I don't know or trust. I would rather Buddy Roller's friends play and hang out at our house, so that I can always know who he is surrounded by and being influenced by. And because I never take for granted that other parents share my values, morals, or rules, I much prefer it this way.

Raising a champion means we "role play" conversations. I teach my son how to have a conversation with adults when he meets someone for the first time, or what to say when someone asks him a challenging question. Raising a champion means when he brings home his Friday folder, I go through each assignment, making sure he goes over and answers the questions he got wrong that week, and possibly provide additional lessons at home to make sure he masters a concept.  It means following up with teachers with an email, every once in a while, to check his progress at school.  Raising a champion means making sure I see his completed homework or school project is up to an "excellent" standard, done with "full effort," and not just taking his word that he did it.

Raising a champion means we have routines, like homework first, and mantras like work hard and play later. As parents, I truly believe The Hubs and I are seeing the results of raising this young man. I definitely see it in his grades. I get affirmation when other adults, who see him everyday, tell me how he's always polite. One of the greatest compliments was when his third grade teacher told me that's he's humble and even though he's very bright, he isn't boastful or arrogant about his abilities. I just about cried during that parent conference when she told The Hubs and me (okay I did cry!). When we go out to eat, servers often comment how they love that he's so polite, saying please and thank you.

One morning while driving Buddy Roller to school, I realized that all the hard work was indeed paying off. We had started a tradition of praying in the car, on the way to school.  We would take turns and pray out loud. I did this so that Buddy Roller could learn how to pray. The first few times he did it, it was really hard and he struggled with what to say. Now after doing this so often, he's become quite good. Often times he prays for people and friends who are going through tough times without me even telling him to do that. It really is validation that he's growing up to have compassion. It makes me so proud.

Just last month, Buddy Roller got inducted into the National Elementary Honor Society. All through elementary school, he's maintained excellent grades but most importantly, membership demonstrates responsibility and a commitment to excellence in leadership and service. This mom is so proud!



Buddy Roller will be double digits this August. The big TEN! It's been so wonderful to see his growth and as a mom, I couldn't be more satisfied with his progress. I know there is so much more to go. More sacrifice. More commitment to raising this champion. It is hard work. And boy do I screw up every once in a while. I do. I'm not perfect. I make mistakes. And Buddy Roller makes mistakes too. He's learning and growing.

When I look at the photo below...Buddy Roller in the first grade, so young and innocent...I'm reminded of my purpose and one of my greatest roles in my life. To be the best mother I know how. Making sacrifices for him, day in and day out, to give him better opportunities than I had growing up.  I'm raising a champion. It's a job that never ends...in this season of my life.

Buddy Roller, I am so proud of you, and I cannot wait to see what your future holds.

No comments: