Friday, May 17, 2019

Outside the Classroom Walls






Turns out they were right all along!

I've long known that the greatest way to have an impact on a child's life is to get to know them outside of the classroom...to find out their interests and support them.  Like, go to their basketball or football game, their concert, or recital.  Sounds easy right? Not really...




With over a hundred kids, juggling my career, and a family of my own, I find this a huge struggle. And if I'm being really honest, I mostly attend the students' games and concerts when I have to do my "mandatory" teaching duties.  Sounds awful right? This is so sad.

Students ask me all the time, "Ms. Cooke are you coming to my game today?" or "Ms. Cooke are you coming to my concert tonight?" They are so excited to ask, and I always feel like I let them down when I say, "No, I'm sorry. I can't make it today." This happens too many times to count.

But the times I do get to see them outside of the classroom, I find that it's so worthwhile, and it causes me to pause and reflect and wonder, "Why don't I make the effort and do this more often?"

Like a few weeks ago, I was able to see most of my kids at their spring band, orchestra and chorus concert.  I saw kids singing and playing instruments, and it totally brought me to tears. Some kids, who are usually off task and unmotivated in the classroom, were completely different! They were focused, on task and performing for an audience.  And suddenly, I was seeing them in a different light.

Last night, I went to a skating party for my students. It was an end of year celebration and also a fundraiser. Again, I got to see my kids out of the classroom. They were smiling, happy, dancing, and being kids. Even though I had seen them just hours before, they yelled my name in unison and greeted me with hugs when they saw me. They were happy, and I was equally elated to see them.  It felt awesome to see them, like that, in a different environment. It wasn't about teaching, collecting assignments, or issuing consequences. I wasn't the disciplinarian. Or a teacher. I was just a person, and we were having fun.

Today, during our 6th grade awards ceremony, one of my students received a certificate for being the most outstanding student in theatre arts. What?! I've had this student in my classroom, all year, for 177 days! How did I NOT know he had this amazing talent!!???  And that's when I realized it's because I hadn't taken the time to really get to know him. I'm so focused on teaching all the standards, getting kids from one lesson to the next, that I'm losing sight of what's really important. Who knows...maybe this is the single best ingredient for student success and achievement.

I know it's impossible for me to make it to every one of my students' extracurricular activities, but I sure could make more of an effort to attend one or two each semester. I would get to see my kids outside of the classroom walls, show them I care, and build those meaningful relationships that will matter in the end. I owe it to my kids, and it's definitely on my list of things to "keep doing" next school year.

No comments: