Tuesday, July 2, 2019

On Engagement and Wedding Rings


How do you feel about wedding rings? Are they merely a representation of love and commitment or a fashion statement? What about engagement rings? Do you favor a more classic and modest ring like the one former First Lady, Michelle Obama used to wear (apparently she got an upgrade after she left the White House)? Or, is bigger bling better as in the case of current First Lady, Melania Trump?


My husband lost his wedding band within a year of our marriage. We were at the airport, traveling from Jamaica back to the states when it happened. The ring had just slipped off his finger unbeknownst to him, and we never saw it again.

It was a white gold wedding band, and it cost a couple hundred dollars. It had the inscription - my first, my last, my everything - on the inside, my pledge to The Hubs. Right after that, we didn't replace the lost ring with one of equal value. I wanted him to have his wedding band, sooner than later, so we bought a pretty inexpensive silver band with the plan to replace it later. We didn't, and he's been wearing it ever since...we're talking 16 years.

My first wedding ring set was very modest.  Both bands displayed dainty prong set diamonds, and though the rings were very slim, our jeweler was able engrave my wedding band with Destiny 9-21-02. We were just starting out and really couldn't splurge on more expensive rings.

Now almost 17 years later, I have a wedding ring set that I'm delighted to wear. The Hubs surprised me with my upgrade one Mother's Day, five years ago.  It is a beautiful set, and when I look down at my left hand, as I often do, I'm reminded about how far we've come, how we've grown as a couple and family, the challenges we've faced, and what marriage and commitment really mean. At the end of the day, the size of the bling really doesn't matter. I wish my younger self would have known and understood this.

Some people go for bling. Some go for understated. Some choose real diamonds. Some go the fake route. Who cares! Most days I wear my ring set, but some days I like to change things up a bit with my jewelry.  I've added a slim textured band to my set, and some days I even wear a fake classic solitaire ring with my other bands. I do this mostly when I work out, go swimming, or go on vacation. And sometimes...I do it just because.

To read about how The Hubs proposed, see this post.

Also read this one for how I knew he was the one, and this one on getting married and changing your last name.

No comments: