Saturday, February 13, 2021

Covid and a Three Week Quarantine


Just after my gloomy start to the New Year, my entire family tested positive for Covid!!!


It was just after my birthday, and both the Hubs and Buddy Roller were showing symptoms. Then a couple people we knew, told us they had tested positive. I was like, "That's it! We're all getting tested."

We all got tested. The Hubs' initial results were positive. Two days later, the more conclusive results showed Buddy Roller also had it. I was negative. 

From then on, I was in "take care of everyone" mode. Everyone quarantined in their separate rooms, and I can't tell you how many times I went up and down the stairs delivering meals, water, Tylenol and taking temperatures. I did all this while working from home. 

About halfway through that first week, I started to feel horrible. I had the worst chills and body aches I've ever experienced. And I had a cough and exhaustion. I just knew I had  Covid too, but a second negative test led me to believe that maybe it was just the flu.

I continued to take care of my family into week two even though I was still going through my symptoms. At the end of each day, I was totally worn out. I slept hard and heavy and found it really difficult to get up each morning.  But isn't that what moms do? Even when we're feeling our worst, we still push through, making everyone else a priority. That's why we're golden! We really are. We don't get nearly enough praise for all we do. We can work a full-time job, manage to hold things down at home, take care of everyone else, while still battling our own stuff. Women, moms, men, dads, teachers, healthcare workers, anyone who takes care of others...YOU are golden!

By the end of week two, we were all on the mend. The Hubs and Buddy Roller would test negative and resume life as normal (during a pandemic). I also decided to get tested a third time as I would return to week the following week, and I wanted to make sure I was okay to be around humans again. And of course, as life would have it...I now tested positive.  I was ordered to quarantine a third week at home, even though my symptoms were better, and I was starting to feel like myself again. 

As I reflect on the last three weeks, I know I was more worried about The Hubs. Due to his health, I feared how Covid would affect him. Of the three of us, he was most definitely hit the hardest with his symptoms, but thank God he didn't require any medical attention or hospitalization. Buddy Roller was the least affected. His symptoms were minor and only lasted a couple of days. He was pretty much himself the entire time. And that's the scary thing about Covid. It's the people (and kids!) who are asymptomatic, who are positive and don't know it, that are the greatest threat. Almost every child I know who had Covid, had little to no symptoms at all. 

Humans, please wear a mask. Please take care of yourselves. Remember, you are golden! There ARE better days ahead.

No comments: