Friday, June 2, 2017

How I Passed on My Love of Reading to My Son


I'm an avid reader, so naturally I wanted my son to enjoy reading as much as I do. Here are four ways I did it...





First, I started early. Like before he could walk or talk. I read to my son while he was a tiny baby...even before I was sure he knew what I was saying, or what the words meant.

Second, I kept it consistent.  I read to him every night, and back then it was easier because picture books were short and sweet. I would say the first four years of his life, we would visit the local library and check out up to 30 picture books at one time...returning them and getting new ones every couple of weeks.  Eventually, we graduated from one book a night to him begging me to read a second, third or even a fifth book!

Third, I was his role model. Not only was I telling him to read, but I was doing it right along with him. Once we got past picture books, and he started reading chapter books, it was pretty common to find us both in his bed, snuggled together and reading, after his shower.  It was our nighttime routine, and still is to this day.  He was reading his book, and I was reading mine. Our only problem was him asking, "Please mommy, can I read longer?" What a problem to have!

And finally, I gave him his independence by getting him his own library card. Now when we go to the library, which we still do quite often, he actually finds and checks out his own books. He can also search for his books online and put them on hold for pickup later.


I'll never know if Buddy Roller would have come to love reading on his own, but I'm pretty happy with how things turned out! He is so smart, and his vocabulary just keeps growing and growing.

And now my only problem is getting him to bed at a decent time. Most times, after I've gone to bed, he's still up reading...

No comments: