Saturday, March 20, 2021

Fool Me Twice

 
Never have I EVER had two people give me a blowout at the same time.  And, as it turns out, I had been fooled not once, but twice. Let me explain...


A week ago, I had this great idea (as it turns out, NOT a good one!) to go to a new salon. I'd been feeling like I needed a "change." It's not that my current stylist was doing a terrible job, but I just felt like changing things up a bit. Ever feel this way?

So, I got a recommendation from a friend, made an appointment, and waited anxiously for my cut and blowout. Truth be told, I was a little nervous because of past experiences. You can read about that here

A few days before my appointment, I remembered that I had been to that salon before. Years ago, in fact. Problem was, I couldn't remember why I had never gone back. That should have been the first sign of trouble, right?

I decided to keep the appointment. The salon was in a new location, and it was open and welcoming. The people were really nice, especially my stylist. She was very personable and easy to talk to, but it was clear that my thick and course hair was too difficult for her to handle. 

First of all, my hair started drying in the midst of the cut. When that happens, my hair starts to expand. A more skilled stylist would be finished cutting by this point, or he/she would have re-wet my hair.  Her delicate hands and fingers had no command of my unruly hair. Then, I knew I was in trouble when she asked another stylist to help her with my blowout. Now flanked by two, each stylist took turns unsuccessfully pulling and drying sections of my thick, coarse and frizzy hair. 

That was the instant I took the picture. To document this moment of my foolery. At that exact time, I knew why I had never gone back.

Even though they both struggled with my hair, I made the most of this undesirable situation. I laughed and joked with them. It was not their fault. It was mine. The cut was good, but the styling, in contrast, was not so good. When I tried to run my fingers through my hair, my fingers got caught in the tangle underneath, that was not completely dry. This is what happens when hair dressers aren't used to my type of hair. 

As soon as I got home, I went to work blow drying and flat ironing sections of my hair to smooth out my tresses. I really liked the cut.  After all that, I ended up tipping my stylist. And generously.  I had learned my lesson twice...shame on me!

No comments: