Saturday, August 23, 2014

My Week in Review


There goes my attempt to post every few days.  Now I've resorted to a "week in review" post!  That really means I'm back at work.  But a week in review is just as good, right?  You don't mind, do you?



A couple of significant things happened this week. First...work.  I've mentioned before that I've, rather reluctantly, taken on a leadership role at school. I have to say all the fears I've had, have been for nothing...well so far anyway. Things are going really well. This is the first school year where I've been pretty calm, and I'm really feeling good about my classes, students and lessons. I guess what they say is really true. As a teacher, you really start getting into a groove after your 5th year.

Anyways we had our second teacher leader academy (TLA) meeting this week, and it was great! All the new "leaders" received a very nice leather bound notebook and pen plus a name tag displaying "teacher leader" on it. Cool right? Our principal also told us that there is not one leader at our school, that we, all of us in the TLA were the leaders in the school. Wow. No pressure! I thought it was a nice sentiment and I am hopeful that I will grow and become a better teacher because of my new role. Turns out there are some perks with this job too.  Next month TLA gets to miss a half day from work.  We'll be attending some team building activities with a catered lunch.  I'm excited!


Now on to the next significant event of the week. My Buddy Roller turned five this week!!!! Is this really true? How can it be that he's already five and in kindergarten???!!! It seems like it was just the other day we brought him home from the hospital. 


We tried to make his day very special since we were not having a birthday party for him this year. The Hubs surprised him at his school for lunch, and brought him and his classmates Ninja Turtles cupcakes. And after school, we picked him up, showered him with some super hero balloons and took him to one of his favorite restaurants for dinner and dessert.


By the way, how do you feel about kids' birthdays? I think special days should be celebrated, but I don't think kids always need a birthday party. Buddy Roller did not have a party at one. Personally, I think kids are too young to remember these things, and it's more for the parents.  When he turned one, we just celebrated at home, the three of us. And it was perfect! 

He had a party at two, three, and four years of age. I don't want him growing up thinking birthdays are all about parties and gifts. That is the wrong message I want to send my son. I do want him to acknowledge that birthdays are special and can also be celebrated with just the family or with a couple of his closest friends.

And you know what? I don't think he missed a party this year. He felt special, and he appreciated the small treats he did receive. We ended the day at home with him wearing his birthday hat from school and working on his homework. Yes, he has homework in kindergarten, and I love it! I'm such a teacher.


And after a week of long days and not enough sleep, I was really happy to come home to my family and my sanctuary. 


All the hard work we did on our deck last weekend...re-staining it, adding some colorful flowers here and there, buying some new patio furniture, and getting a wind chime that I've always wanted but have put off getting...really paid off.  






We ended our long week, throwing some burgers on the grill and having The Smiths over. While the little kids played together, the grown ups, plus one cute little one-year-old, sat back, relaxed and enjoyed the outdoors. We hung out late into the night with this lovely couple dancing away to Ella Fitzgerald and a song that's close to their hearts, "Dream A Little Dream of Me."


Hope you had a great week, and I hope an even better weekend is on the horizon!

No comments: