Monday, August 18, 2014

Seriously Mrs. Woodard?


I've attended and led many curriculum nights as a teacher in my own classroom, but tonight I attended my first one as a parent.

I didn't go so much to learn about the curriculum or school procedures.

Most of that I know from being a teacher.

That information can also be easily obtained from a brochure or the school's website.

I went to Buddy Roller's curriculum night with one goal in mind.




I wanted his teacher, Mrs. Woodard, to understand that I support her.

As a teacher myself, I totally believe it takes a village to raise a child.

We must all work together to make our children a success.

So as a united front, Buddy Roller, The Hubs, and I, along with several other parents and their children, all met in Mrs. Woodard's classroom to talk curriculum.

It's important to know and communicate with your child's teacher.

It makes a huge difference!

It keeps everyone accountable.

At the end of the program, I had a chance to chat with Mrs. Woodard for a few minutes.

"How's he doing?" I asked her.

"Oh he's very bright," she beamed.  "He's like a teenager trapped inside a five year old's body.  He's got quite a personality," she laughed.

"Oooookay," I said uncertainly.  I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not.  "Let me know if there's anything we can do at home to support you. Dad and I are very involved."

She further explained he was a "true" boy and that he was doing well.

She added that he often says to her, "Are you serious Mrs. Woodard!" Or, "Seriously? Really Mrs. Woodard?"

Those are classic comments from Buddy Roller!

I hear that at home all the time.

She assured me it was all in jest and that if she needed to, the two of them would have the talk if necessary.

I like that about Mrs. Woodard.

She's firm yet flexible.

She doesn't take Buddy Roller too seriously, and she's allowing him to be himself in a fun and nurturing environment.

Since school started 10 days ago, I've seen Mrs. Woodard twice, and I have emailed her a couple of times already.

She has always promised to take care of my baby, and you know what?

I'm starting to believe her.

Seriously, Mrs. Woodard.

Thank you!

No comments: