Thursday, January 29, 2015

A Note a Day


I wrote a note to three students today. Just a few sentences to let them know that I care, and that I was proud of them for not giving up and for trying in class yesterday.  And believe me, it's a big deal to "try" and not give up.  I know the notes mattered.  One, because I got a sincere "thank you," and two, because a student actually wrote a letter back to me.  It really is about building relationships.

I used to write notes to my students.  I don't know why I stopped. I need to get back to that. And getting back to that is the reason for today's post.


It started a few weeks ago.

I was feeling frustrated, burned out, and hopeless. Really. I've been in a negative space. Some of the teachers at work have been complaining day in and day out, and without realizing it, I was feeding into it and letting it get to me. Before I realized it, I, too, was beginning to be negative.  I was focusing too much on the failures and not the successes in the classroom.

It's my personality to want everything perfect. To have all my students motivated and trying every day.  For all my students to care about their education. For all my students to be respectful and responsible.  I've been focusing on the wrong thing, and it's been frustrating me.

I should have realized what was happening. I know better. This can happen in the teaching world, especially in a Title I school.  The goal is to not let it happen. Not let the situation get the better of you.

Thank God for The Hubs who put things in perspective for me. Isn't it great when you have a spouse who makes you a better person? It is. Really.

I asked him what he thought the problem was. What should I do to fix things? And he gave me a list of four things.

1. Outside influence - negative energy
2. Perspective - where does joy come from?
3. Realistic expectations - % of students pass/fail
4. Stress relief/management (as in exercise)

Hmmm...

All four of them were right on! The last one, I admit, I need to work on.

So this week, I have a newfound goal of persevering through this second semester of the school year. It is typically when a lot of teachers start to feel burned out, and it isn't that uncommon.

We had a department meeting yesterday, and before some of the teachers started to moan and groan, I suggested we each share something positive about our day to start off. I even said it was easy to fall into the mode of complaining, but we weren't going to do that today.

Well it didn't work. A couple of them found it hard to even find one good thing to say, and before I knew it, the complaining just took over.  Just like that! So I just tuned them out, and I did not add to the conversation. Wow, it's going to take more work to get them to be positive, but I'm not giving up!


I'm getting back to what's important and being positive again. It feels great.

I'm going to make it a habit and write at least a few notes to encourage my students every day.

It's a good thing.

No comments: