Saturday, June 6, 2020

You Are Enough



Bear with me here. What I'm about to tell you is so ridiculously simple but also so important...


YOU are enough!

A couple of days ago, I got a much needed haircut. I use the term "haircut" loosely because I usually get a trim. I'm always such a wuss when it comes to my hair. I know it will grow back, but still, I'm always terrified to cut off more than I'm comfortable with.

Anyways, while I was getting my hair blown out, I could not take my eyes off the woman sitting two chairs away. She had gorgeous hair! Turns out she had been at the salon most of the morning getting a color. Her hair was highlighted with blond streaks, and it was being blown out in sections, creating soft cascading layers.

"Her hair is so pretty," I said to my stylist. "How different is my cut from hers?"

"Your cut is very similar to hers. Your hair is not much different from hers at all.  You have similar layers and you both have the same volume of hair," she explained.

And that's when I realized I was comparing myself to this stranger. Why wasn't it enough that I just observed this woman's beautiful hair?  Why did I have to make a comparison and want what she has? Why wasn't I secure in myself to appreciate my own hair?

Sometimes it's so hard for us to "see" our own beauty, accomplishments or positive attributes because we're so busy comparing ourselves to others and wanting what they have.  When what we really should be focused on is being a better person than we were yesterday and being genuinely happy for others, no matter their current phase of life.

Later that day, as I was scrolling through the gallery on my phone, I came across the photo my stylist had snapped right after she had styled my hair. What I realized in that moment is that my hair is gorgeous. Seeing it, in that photo, is a perspective that I don't always get to see.

We all have unique abilities and talents. We are all diverse in how we look and dress, and we all have remarkable experiences that make us who we are. We are to celebrate our differences and be happy for each other. 

You are enough.

 I am enough.

For a little more on my hair journey read this post.

No comments: