Saturday, July 9, 2016

On the Inevitable


She's a true talker. You know those people who when you see them, you know you're in for a long conversation.  You could say anything to her, and she always had a story to share. Always. I'm normally in a rush when I see her. But this time, I wasn't, thank God, and I took the time to listen to her. Really listen.  I sat down on the tiny bench made for little ones, fearing the planks wouldn't hold my weight. They did. And I patiently listened. It was as if I knew this would be an important conversation to have. It was. And it was the last one I would have with her. She passed away on Sunday...



It's inevitable. Us all dying. One day. And yet, it is one of the hardest things any human can endure. Whether it's unexpected like hers was, or even fated...IT still is hard. She was known in the community, she had a servant's heart, and she was respected. But even more than that, what pains my heart is the other one that is breaking. You see, she met the love of her life in high school. Married for 58 years, known each other for 61, they were the best of friends. High school sweethearts, they did everything together, and their love was real. Like none other. He adored her, and you could tell. It was unmistakable. Indisputable. Unequivocal. I wonder how much his aching heart can bear?

I know her family and friends are grieving her loss. Her husband, well...there are no words.  But these ones given out at her memorial service this morning sound just like the words she would have left behind...

I Am Free - Unknown

Don’t grieve for me, for now I’m free
I’m following the path God laid for me.
I took His hand when I heard Him call
I turned my back and left it all.

I could not stay another day
To laugh, to love, to work or play.
Tasks left undone must stay that way
I found that peace at the close of the day.

If my parting has left a void
Then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss
Ah yes, these things I too will miss.

Be not burdened with times of sorrow
I wish for you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life’s been full, I savored much
Good friends, good times, a loved one’s touch.

Perhaps my time seemed all too brief
Don’t lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your hearts and peace to thee
God wanted me now; He set me free.

No comments: