Monday, February 21, 2022

Valentine's Date Night

For Valentine's Day, The Hubs and I always try to celebrate early to beat the restaurant crowds...

This year, Valentine's Day was on a Monday, so we celebrated the weekend before.  We made a late reservation because we didn't plan far enough in advance, and if you live in Atlanta then you know restaurants get booked pretty quickly...some even weeks before the special day. 

I had had a pretty long week, and I was exhausted. And to be honest, I didn't put a lot of effort in getting dressed up. We had been out and about earlier that day.  Buddy Roller had two basketball games, and when it came time for diner, I just went with what I had on...jeans, a nice sweater and sneakers. Yes I did. Please don't judge me. 

When we got to the restaurant...mind you this was a nice one with white tablecloths and fine linen napkins AND couples dressed up in what looked to me like semi-formal attire....I'll admit, for like the second time in my life, I felt underdressed. Ever have that feeling? 

It took me a moment, but I finally got over myself. The Hubs kindly reminded me that while it was nice to people-watch the folks who got all "prettied up" for their dates, we have been there and done that. We're now in the stage of our lives where we've passed trying to impress each other.  You know? Now, we're just grateful for the moments we get to spend with each other because we understand how precious life is.  

Sometimes I really forget that we're in our late forties! I literally have to remind myself of my age because I can't believe I'm 48. And at this point, I'm starting to realize that I don't care as much about half the stuff I worried about in my 20's and 30's. That's real talk. 

No comments: