Sunday, March 30, 2014

No Matter the Storm, the Anchor Holds

The Hubs, Buddy Roller, and Gram-Paw


He turned 80 this year. He has a boisterous laugh, is quite the character, and he is full of vigor and vitality. He is wise, very generous, and has a warm spirit. Of course he has his quirky ways too, who doesn't? He does not use a smart phone and he loves completing Sudoku puzzles from the newspaper. For the more than 20 years I have known him, he has very much been like a father to me. He is my father-in-law or "Gram-Paw" as Buddy Roller affectionately calls him...




For the past eight days, The Hubs, Buddy Roller, and I have had the extraordinary pleasure of spending some special time with Gram-Paw. As tradition goes, when he comes to visit from Jamaica (at least once every year), we have to "hit up" all the usual spots.


Gram-Paw loves crabs so we usually make a trip, or two, to go eat crabs. Inevitably we go shopping several times (I'm not exaggerating when I say "several" times) during his stay as he has to get clothes and cologne for himself and a few other trinkets and gifts for his friends and family back home. The Hubs and I also introduced him to the board game, The Settlers of Catan, and we spent many nights playing into the wee hours of the morning. The night before he left, we stayed up until 2:30 a.m playing the fun and competitive board game. He is hooked!

Buddy Roller has also had a good time with his Gram-Paw. I have enjoyed watching and listening to them communicate with each other during dinner. They make great companions; they are quite the pair!


This morning as he was leaving for his flight back to Jamaica, I gave him several tight hugs.  I looked him in the eye and told him, "I want you to know you are the closest thing I have for a dad, and I love you." It wasn't my intention, but the tears came and I couldn't stop myself. We don't see each other regularly, and so I felt I had to let him know how much he means to me.  He's a great listener, he gives solid advice, and he played a key part in making my wedding beautiful, memorable and very special. I appreciate him so much for helping to raise The Hubs who has turned out to be such an amazing husband, father, and life-long partner.

Before Gram-Paw left, he picked up Buddy Roller and held him high up off the floor so that they were both face to face. He repeated over and over again, "No matter the storm, the anchor holds." Ever since I have known him, he always has some knowledge to impart by way of scriptures or quotes. Long after he left, I thought about his words to Buddy Roller and what they meant. Surely, no matter what cards you are dealt in your life, God is always there like an anchor to hold the ship steady...protecting you in the midst of your "storm." But I think family is also like an anchor. Through the good times and bad, the ups and downs, the highs and lows, family is that comfort and safe haven, no matter the storm.

Thank you Gram-Paw for being an anchor and an ever present symbol of what family means.

No matter the storm, the anchor holds.

No comments: