Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Wedded Wednesdays - Love Talk


After spending almost 24 years together (married for 12), The Hubs and I are getting to understand each other pretty well.

We have a running joke between us.  Every time he calls me up and excitedly tells me that he has a surprise for me....it inevitably ends up being a surprise for him! LOL

Who does that!!! Does your spouse do that?

Or there are those times when he wants me to do something for him, but instead of coming right out and just asking me, he'll say, "We should do this, or we should get this done."

So now when I want him to do something for me, or complete a task around the house, I'll say, "Hon we should really do this."  I'm catching on...I'm speaking his language.

Speaking of language...do you know what your love language is? How about your spouse's?

Eons ago, The Hubs and I read the book, The 5 Love Languages.  Although I can't remember everything about the book, the most important things stuck! And that is, there are five love languages, and my love language is totally different from The Hub's.  I think it was well worth the read because to this day we try to communicate our love for each other in the way that matters . For so many years before that, we didn't have a clue about how to truly communicate. For example, I thought keeping a clean house and always having home-cooked meals was the way to my husband's heart. Turns out, that couldn't be farther from the truth. While words of affirmation is one of his love languages, mine include quality time and acts of service. You could also throw in an occasional gift, or two, and this girl would not mind at all!

After all these years together, I can honestly say that I truly know and understand my husband now. I could not say that even after the first five years of marriage. Really. It can take this long.

How about you?  What year of marriage are you in? Do you feel that you truly know your spouse, or do you agree that it can take many, many years before you really understand each other?

No comments: