Wednesday, December 24, 2014

What Is Christmas?


What does Christmas mean to you?

Christmas is being happy...even when there are legitimate reasons to be unhappy.  I've said a trillion times before that "life happens." I see friends going through stuff all the time. Bad stuff. Unfortunate stuff. And just when it seems it couldn't get any worse...it does! I sometimes wonder how some people have the perseverance to keep going through life unscathed.  Life can take a beating, and it can hurt the human spirit.  If we're not careful, we can become dejected, hopeless, and toxic.

You've heard the saying before, when life gives you lemons...make lemonade. It's so cliche, but so true. Even though we can't change the people or circumstances around us, we can change our attitude. We can control our thoughts and actions, and even though it's easier said than done, you hold the power to do that.

These past few days I've been taking care of a sick Buddy Roller. It started with all the tell-tale signs...sneezing, coughing, scratchy throat and then a fever at 5 a.m. yesterday morning. And if you have a child with asthma, you know things can get pretty serious really fast. So for the past 48 hours it's been breathing treatments on the nebulizer machine, lots of saline, wiping a sore and runny nose, not getting enough sleep because you're listening out for that cough hoping your child will get better really fast, and just giving lots of TLC as us moms know how to do.

And through it all, you know what I kept thinking? It's not that I have to wake up and go to work after a sleepless night.  It's not that I have to find a sub for school because he's sick. And it's not having to choose between my son and work tomorrow. But, what I keep thinking is how fortunate I feel to be able to take care of my son one-hundred-percent without having to figure out all the working-mom dilemmas that go with this territory. I am so thankful I'm off from school for two weeks to be able to experience what it should really be like caring for my child when he's sick.


Christmas is getting teary eyed no matter how many times I watch this commercial from Publix. It never fails, I've seen this ad so many times, but each time I see it, it's like a first, and I get emotional every time. Have you seen it? Love this! Publix gets me every year.


Christmas is believing there is a God and miracles do happen.  I know it, and I believe it, but once in while it's good to be reminded.  Did you see this story on the Today show? It's about a man, David Espinoza in McAllen, Texas who needed a life saving heart transplant. His wife through faith and prayer didn't want a transplant.  She wanted a complete healing for her husband, and she was hopeful for a miracle. Don't you just love a praying wife! She was sure God would answer her prayers and give her a sign in the form of snow on Christmas Eve. Get this...it hadn't snowed in McAllen, TX in over 100 years! And as you may have guessed, it did snow on Christmas Eve, and Mrs. Espinoza's prayers were answered. Check out the video for more on this miracle. It gives me goose bumps!


Wherever you are and whatever your situation, I hope you can find joy in the midst of your crises, you can tear-up over some heart-warming television commercial, and you can be a witness to one of the many miracles taking place this holiday season.

Have a joyous Christmas Eve!

No comments: