Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Chalk Talk: A Smile Is Contagious


As I teacher, I'm surprised by the number of educators who do not smile enough.

Think back to when you were in school, can you recall a teacher who always seemed grumpy and didn't smile nearly enough?

I can, and some of my students have also complained to me about other teachers who "don't smile at all!"

And this is what I told them...


...I had the same problem when I was in middle school. We had a teacher who always seemed unhappy, and we hardly saw her smile. Things got so bad that a few of us went to our guidance counselor and complained, and here's what she told the whole class to do.

Smile!

That's it. One word. Smile. When our teacher entered the classroom, the entire class, all together, was just to smile at her. We did, and it worked. She started smiling right away and asked us what was going on.

It's so funny that such a simple act solved the problem. Think of that cashier or attendant at the grocery store or bank...wherever...that never smiles. Try greeting them with a smile and asking them about their day. You'll find, that sometimes, all it takes is an act of friendliness to make even the worst curmudgeon...smile.

So.  Whether you teach, or not, remember to smile. It's contagious, and it can make a big difference in your day and someone else's too.

No comments: