Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Tip #1 from a So-Called Veteran Teacher





There's this running joke at my school, that if you've taught for one year, you're a veteran teacher! Can you believe that? LOL

Even though I've been teaching for seven years now...a veteran teacher I am not. Maybe it's because I'm humble.  But mostly it's because I feel as though I learn something new...every year.




Over the course of this school year, I'll be sharing teaching tips that I've found useful throughout my career as an educator. Starting with this one, which is quite possibly one of the most important...be nice to your custodians.

From day one, I've been really courteous and respectful to the custodians at my school. We all know that teachers work really hard, and their time is precious. That being said, it's really important to take just a few minutes out of your day and "talk" to your custodians. It pays off in the long run.

I can't tell you the number of times I've needed a last minute favor, and it's because of the relationship I've cultivated with the custodians that's helped me...time and time again. Just this week, four of my moving boxes, packed full of school supplies, were mistakenly delivered to another classroom, on the third floor. My room is on the second floor. Not only were three custodians happy to help deliver my four boxes to my room, but they also helped me arrange my new classroom by moving two heavy filing cabinets and two bulky storage units. And they were eager and happy to do it.  What a godsend!

I'm also reminded of one custodian, Ms. Linda, though no longer at my school, she was always a big help. She used to stop by my classroom every evening and chat. And because I was so friendly to her, is the reason she always took care of me. If a desk or wall sharpener broke that day, she would fix it that day.  When I left my bamboo plant in my classroom, over the summer, for two months, guess who took care of it and made sure it always had water? Yup. You guessed it. Ms. Linda!

So the next time you're busy in your classroom, at the end of a very long day, and a custodian walks in to clean your room, be nice! Talk to him or her and make sure you ask how they're doing. They just may be the one helping you the next time you need a hand.

Photo Credit: United Educators Association

No comments: