Saturday, July 4, 2015

Running Among Thousands...in the Rain

Photo Credit: Atlanta Track Club

Writing this blog truly has its benefits.

Writing this blog is the reason I had to run The Peachtree Road Race.  You see, I wrote about how my story began here, my dilemma, and my ultimate decision. And that's why I love writing this blog so much. It allows me to tackle my fears, and face them head on. Because writing about something, means I have to do IT. Words do have power.

So. Yes. As you may have guessed, earlier today, I put on my running shoes and run like a girl I did...


So you know what two things I discovered today?

One. Running in the rain is so much better than running in hot sweltering heat. Seriously.  There was a steady downpour of rain this morning...sometimes heavy, but mostly a light drizzle. It was refreshing! I ran most of the 6.2 miles today with a smile from ear to ear. There's just something magical about running in the rain, and especially taking part in this Fourth of July tradition in Atlanta.

Photo Credit: Atlanta Track Club

And two. The thing that I was most afraid of going into the race, is the thing I enjoyed the most...which was running all by myself. Go figure. I was truly comfortable and at peace this morning. I ran when I wanted, walked when I wanted, and I didn't feel like I was holding anyone back. It was awesome to see the residents from their high rises, volunteers, and spectators, who lined the streets, shouting words of encouragement along the way. I see now why people do this year after year. I even met a couple who's been running this race 35 years now!  I also met a lovely woman, Rita, who like me was running for the first time. It was just something she wanted to check off her bucket list. There were lots of people like that today, and lots of people running it solo too.  And we weren't really all alone. Not at all!

With a race this big...60,000 people...one is bound to run into a few friendly faces along the way, right? I walked/ran with this lovely lady for a good portion of the course. In hindsight, I think things definitely worked out the way they were supposed to. They did.

Mile 5...we got this!!!

The McCallas

Former colleague
And I even got the coveted Peachtree Road Race t-shirt!

I had a blast today. I conquered my fears, and I did it!!!


Happy 4th!!!

#AJCPRR
#runningintherainissomuchfun
#doingthethingsthatscareme
#livingadream
#livingthebestlifepossible
#goingafterdreams

No comments: